Search This Blog

Monday, October 3, 2011

Election 2008, My Dilemma (October 25, 2008)

Well, it is about 10 days until the Presidential Election and I have no idea who I am going to vote for. That is very weird for me and frankly, it's annoying. I normally know weeks ahead of time how I am going to vote.

For the first time ever, I find myself seriously contemplating voting for a Democrat for President. I am a very staunch Republican, but I am an American first. I see all the harm that Bush and his ideas have done to the country. Don't get me wrong, there probably have been worse presidents, but I am not sure who they are; or even if they exist. I voted for Bush in both 2000 and 2004. In 2000, I liked his message of compassionate conservatism and thought it looked alot like Catholic social beliefs about helping the poor while simultaneously not expanding government overmuch. I was much less enthusiastic in 2004, but I couldn't stand Kerry, so I voted against him.

This year, I find myself seriously respecting Obama. I think he is wonderful on social justice issues and I think his ideas may help the country alot. However, he is severely pro-choice and pro-abortion. That troubles me and really keeps me from being able to vote for him without some serious justification. I am not a 1 issue voter, but that issue is *VERY* important to me and has a large influence on my choice about whom I vote for.

McCain is uninspiring and seems to promise more Bush; which I cannot stand for. So I am impaled on the horns of a dilemma of conscience. Do I vote for Obama while holding my nose to the stench of his pro-choice and pro-abortion views, or do I simply not vote for president at all? Voting for McCain is out of the question unless I get some damned good reasons fast. voting for another candidate is possible, however, I have serious political and philosophical differences with them that prevent me from supporting them.

I need to do more research about some things quickly to make a decision. This is a unique and frankly uncomfortable position that I am in. Wish me luck.